Sunday, February 04, 2007

100 Good Wish Quilt


As most of you know while we are waiting for the arrival of our child, Mary Anne, I am working on a project, a "100 Good Wishes Quilt". To welcome and celebrate a new life, there is a tradition in the Northern part of China to make a Bai Jia Bei or "100 Good Wishes Guilt". It is a custom to invite 100 people to contribute a single square of material. 100 peices of material are then sewn together into a quilt that contains the luck, energy and good wishes from all the family and friends who contribute a piece of fabric. The quilt is then passed down from generation to generation. We love the idea of welcoming Mary Anne into our home with a quilt that represents the good wishes from family and friends.

I sent an e-mail out in March 2006 to family and friends and have received 96 peices of fabric and good wishes!!! Thank you so much to all family and friends! As you know I decided not to start the quilt until after Ironman Canada (which was August 27, 2006). Yes...I did complete... in a time of 15 hours and 56 minutes! :) Since the wait is taking longer than expected I thought it would be a good idea to spread out my projects! With the assistance of Mary Anne's Grandma I started the quilt in September 2006. Grandma tells me what to do...and I do it. I am slowly working on it. Attached is a photo of my progress to date.

I am pretty excited to see the completed quilt. I purchased a beautiful Asian Photo Album in Chinatown, San Francisco for the sample pieces of fabric and wishes.

No comments: