We took Sean, Olivia, Rachel, Antoinette, Nathaniel and Jeannie. They were unbelievable!!! We left Starfish at 7:30 a.m. and did not get back until 12:30 p.m. They had nothing to eat until 11:30!!! I don’t know how they did it. No melt downs until they had their blood taken at 11:00. What an experience. I was starving and I had a little breakfast. When we receive Mary Anne’s medical I will now have a good idea what she went through.
As before seeing the hospital was an experience. This was a different hospital than the one I went to for Cailean’s MRI. This one was just as bad. The babies did not just see one physician we had to walk around to every specialty and WAIT! There is no such thing as Family Physicians in China! First we had to wait one hour outside the front door while the man from the Orphanage went to register the babies. We started at the Eye Doctor. Actually, initially we went to a few different specialities to see where the wait was shorter. That entailed walking up and down stairs a ton of times. After the Eye Doctor we went to the Ear/Nose and Throat Doctor, then onto the Chest/Lung Doctor, then onto a Doctor who assesses their function, then onto the Dentist and then the blood work!! I did not realize they take blood from a vein in their neck. I had to lie Sean down on a bed, with his head hanging over the end of the bed and hold his arms and legs while the nurse drew blood. Another waiting Mother helped me by holding Sean’s head to the side so the nurse could administer the needle. I had Sean the entire morning. He is 11 kg. and we had no carrier or stroller! My arms are killing me. He was so good. He had no problem letting everyone check him out and he even napped in between. The medical system in this Country is SOOO different. We once again drew a lot of attention and even had some followers. One guy came up to Amanda and offered money for Jeannie!! Sean is healthy as are all the other babies. Some of the Doctors did not do the best check up….for example the “function guy” did nothing accept check the boxes. BUT the Ear/Nose and Throat Lady got right in there. It was neat witnessing the check ups and all the forms. I was able to hold Sean as each Doctor did their check-up. Oh and Sean had a bloody nose the entire morning.
When I returned from the hospital I immediately showered and threw my clothes in the wash. Amanda has reassured me that although Shanghai may not be clean it is cleaner and better than the Xian Hospital. Shanghai Children’s Centre is also one of the top hospitals in the Country. I can’t believe I will be spending approximately 10 days there!!!! Our flight to Shanghai is booked. We leave at 12:05 p.m. on November 1.
I also asked Amanda how the bathroom is at the hospital. Her comment was “oh no problem we can clean it!” J I think I am in for a shock.
Right now I have Cailean with me in my apartment. He is sick so hopefully he can get better rest here where it is quiet. He has about 4 to 5 days to get better. Say a prayer for him and also that I do not get sick.
Photos from the day at the Xi’an Hospital:
Waiting outside the Hospital at 7:30 a.m.
Olivia, Sara and Nanny





4 comments:
Christine, I am actually impressed that you got all of that done in such a short time! I have spent longer than that waiting to see one doctor with the kids!! What a picture of all of you, I can see why you drew attention. Is it just the building that is dirty? Hiw ar e all the medical supplies and things. It gived me the shivers thinking about it, I don't like the kids touching things at our doctors and it is a fairly new and clean building!
Ren
Christine, you are such a hero!!
Love the pictures, the children are so adorabe.
Sure hoe Caillen is better for his surgery, he looks healthy, more rolls than me, well maybe not.
Christine:
I can't get over what an amazing journey you are on! I would love to be in a position to make a volunteer trip...maybe one day. Will say a prayer for Cailean, that he recovers and is strong and healthy for the surgery.
Best Wishes on your journey,
Sharon
Could you please, please contact me? This is not spam!!!
I have news, and it's related to the starfish foster home!!!
color-in@home.nl
Jet
Post a Comment