Friday, November 09, 2007

I met an angel....

Hi Everyone!

I am out of the Shanghai Hospital for a break. A day before Cailean and I were back at the hospital we were touring around the floor seeing all the babies with Love without Boundaries and I met Trish. Trish was volunteering with Love without Boundaries. Trish and her husband, Dan, moved here in June from Troy, Michigan. Let me tell you I would not be surviving without her. She has taken Cailen and and me into her heart and is taking care of us. Everyday she comes into the hospital and sits with us. She brings me food, toilet paper, tissue, does our laundry, water, magazines. Last night Trish and Dan came to visit and they helped me move to a new room. I would not have been able to move without them. Being in the new room has helped and we had a much better night sleep. I realize now that we were in the cheapest bed you can get in the hospital. Right now I am at Trish and Dan's home! It is unbelievable. Their home is located on the 32 floor of a high rise on the Yahtzee River overlooking the Bund. Which is a very famous area along the water in Shanghai. Lots of history. I have 4 hours!!!!!! Trish is watching Cailean. Their driver drove me here, Dan showed me around and is gone to play golf. I have taken the longest bath ever, than a shower and it is nice to be able to update the blog and post some photos. It is amazing how people come into your life. I really needed a friend here and I was given two. Every time Trish has walked into our room in the morning I have cried. I am so happy to see someone familiar. She always encourages me to leave and get fresh air but I am excited to just sit and visit and have a conversation in English.

Ok enough about me onto CAILEAN! I am so in love with this little boy. He is so strong. He is doing awesome! I personally think (although I am no nurse or doctor) that he is ready to go home. I am glad Iain was able to update everyone on his progress. Thanks for all the prayers! Seeing him without the sack is amazing. He is ready to get on with his life. I have him attached to a pacifier and he LOVES having his back rubbed. He does not like it when he is laying on a piece of cloth that is wet or fabric that is irritating him. When he wants his bottle he wants it now! Considering he has always slept on his back he is doing incredible having to always be on his stomach. He is very bright and alert. I also think he is very smart. He has little hair on his shoulder and forehead and he looks like The Last Emperor with his head shaved.

Dr. Bao is very kind and gentle man. Cailean is scheduled to be discharged on Tuesday. Amanda is returning on Monday. I am leaving for home on Tuesday. Emotionally this is one of the hardest things I have ever done. I have tried to not let this little boy sink deep into my heart but I have failed. I will have to pass along to Amanda all his new habits b/c I feel so sad thinking that he will be at Starfish and no one will understand why he is crying. I feel really sad that he will be alone again and will miss all that one on one attention. It doesn't seem fair.
Man...can you tell I am emotional.

Ok onto the good part here are some photos you have all be waiting for....
Thanks for following along and for all your prayers.

I have a lot of photos. They are in no particular order. I just wanted to get them on for all to see.

Cailean at the Best Western with Hair!!! :)Following surgery
Dr. Bao and Cailean
His favourite two things..the bull frog and pacifier. The bull frog's nose is perfect for holding the pacifier in his move and he loves it!
Oh oh getting his head shaved. He did not like it at all! I wonder if he will one day like the barber?
Bald....
Our room and my bed. The chair slides out...
What a cutie! Look how alert he is...

Surgery clothes....
Going in....
Coming out....
Dr. Bao...after he told me the great news of the success of Cailean's surgery
Heading to our room....
Together again....

I can really get him giggling by kissing him....

This morning. I bought him this outfit at Wal-Mart, China. I did not realize it had split pants! :) Cute!

What a kid!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am going to try to post a little video clip....

3 comments:

Juliette said...

Oh wonderful you met great people to help and support you! And so glad you can have some rest and pampered yourself a little.
Cailean is so cute without his hair! How can't you fall for him, I would be as emotional as you. You've done great Christine! Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Christine-you amaze me-what a wonderful gift you are giving to that baby-I had a dream the other night that you brought all the babies from Starfish home to Belle River and all your family and friends were able to help you care for them!! Know we are all with you in prayers

Love lynanne

Anonymous said...

Hello Christine!

I am amazed at your strength! I am sitting here crying after reading your blog...my heart is being pulled for you and Cailean. How hard it must be to fall for this baby :) (although you have loved him from day one) You must always know that YOU have made a difference in this childs life FOREVER. He will know love because of you. So, the tough times ahead during your separation will only be temporary :) Hang in there Mama!!!!!!!!! You are doing great!! I am proud of you too!!!

Hugs to you!
Carrie