I remember while waiting for our turn to travel to China families saying that the trip was a trip of a life time but exhausting. OMG I totally understand now. It is crazy. We are always on the move. Mary Anne eats and sleeps half the time in our arms. Today I was giving her a bottle while walking around the Beijing Zoo.It is absolutely amazing how these kids adapt to being trucked around everywhere. It is mind boggling how well they do.Of course we do have the option to stay in our room but we both enjoy getting out and seeing the sites.
Here is an example of our day today: (Remember we are new parents and Mary Anne has only been with us 5 days!)
Mary Anne woke at 6:30 (slept right through the night again Yahoo!!). Upon waking and trying to make a bottle we realize our power was not working. So following one hour trying to entertain Mary Anne while an Electrician tried to fix it, it was determined we had to move rooms. I had already unpacked pretty much all of our stuff last night to try to be some what organized. (remember we had to switch rooms our first night in Beijing last Sunday as well). I threw everything back into our suitcase while Iain watched Mary Anne. We decided to go down for breakfast as of course the room they had for us was not ready. Mary Anne fell asleep in our arms right after eating. We came back up and changed rooms. We had to be quick as we had to meet the group at 10:00 for the Canadian Citizenship stuff. We spent about 1 hour doing that then back to the room. Iain went out to the grocery store while I put Mary Anne down for a nap. She decided she wanted to play and did not fall asleep until 12:30. Unfortunately we had to leave at 1:00 to go to the Zoo. So we had to wake her. We fed her some cheerio’s and carrots on the way to the zoo. We walked around the Zoo from 1:15 to 3:45 p.m. Mary Anne had a bottle at about 3:00 and fell asleep right after and stayed asleep on the short ride back to the hotel. When we got to the room she woke and decided she wanted to play. This girl power naps! We had about 90 minutes before we had to meet the group for dinner at 6:00 p.m. We were able to keep Mary Anne awake. We walked over to a restaurant with the group.Mary Anne was starving! Poor thing. Man she has a temper when she wants to eat. So while waiting for our food I fed her Cheerio’s and borrowed some baby food from another mom. She then proceeded to eat steamed egg, noodles, tofu and broccoli and then more tofu. :) They had no high chairs so she sat on Iain’s lap while I fed her and tried to eat. Iain was eating over her. By 7:30 p.m. she was passed out on Iain’s lap. Oh on a side note…dinner cost $195 RMB….divided by three families totalled a whopping $9.00 US per family! We ate like kings and that included beer all around! We got back to the hotel at 8:00, changed Mary Anne and put her in her crib. She is passed out! and we are not far behind her.
You certainly learn quickly you have to go with the flow and give up being organized.
Tomorrow we are to meet in the lobby at 8:30 a.m. to go to the Jade Market, Great Wall, then lunch, then the Olympic Stadium. I think tomorrow night we might opt to stay in our room and order room service. Although we have heard there is a good sushi restaurant on the main floor of our hotel.
Mary Anne might find life pretty boring when we get home! We have been so busy it is truly hard to believe she has not even been with us one week yet! She has only had 5 sleeps with us! Unbelievable.
Here are some photos:
Family photo before leaving the Galactic Hotel in Nanchang
On the Plane
On the plane. :)
Last night....she loves the king size bed...she can roll around
Beijing Zoo
Video of tonight's dinner and the chaos. But boy is it fun!!!!
I was just about to change Mary Anne tonight after dinner when I realized she looked exactly how I felt....dead dog tired. I couldn't resist the photo moment.
Good night. :) Thanks for following along on our journey!!!
11 comments:
Anonymous
said...
Good Morning McAuley Family! Wow do I love to get up each morning and have the latest Mary Anne installment! I love the new pictures. My absolute favorite is the new black and white one. It is breathtaking, stunning - I would sure like to have a copy of that once you are home. I love the dog tired one too. Yes, so much of the China trip is spent feeling that way. Today, September 27 is the 4th anniversary of Amalia's Gotcha Day. We were in that exact same room 4 years ago where you received Mary Anne. It sure brought back some memories watching the video. 4 years doesn't seem so long, it feels like we've had her forever. You probably feel that way already with your wee girl. Are you going to the pearl market? Just an idea... we bought each of the girls a strand of pearls to give on their 16th birthdays. A friend from Trip #1 did that and I loved the idea. This time we even got a pic of Lily as a baby with the pearls around her neck. One day I will show her that pic and give her the pearls, oh, in about 15 years! hahahaha! Well we are off to the Camp this weekend for activities. It is it's 70th birthday so the weekend is filled with celebrations. I hope you get some rest after your busy, busy day and enjoy the day ahead. My cousin Cathy (from camp) came over yesterday and I showed her the blog. She wanted to send you her congratulations. She thinks Mary Anne is gorgeous and she is so happy for you!! Lots of love, Michelle
Okay...it has taken me awhile to figure out how to get an account to make a comment! I have been following your blog, I am so excited for you and I know just how tired you must feel, but at the same time so excited. Don't you just enjoy watching her, like you could sit and stare at her for hours upon hours. I love the photos you have taken, she is such a perfect match for you, she has the same totally contagious smile like you. And she seems to have a genuine happiness about her, like you! I would love to meet her in the flesh, I hope I can make it happen sooner than later. I loved the videos too, especially the one where you hold her for the first time. I forwarded it to a lot of my mom friends and we all agreed that you need tissues to watch it! Babies are just the best thing in life, I swear. If I weren't so tired out from my three, I would keep having them! Much love to you and Iain and Mary Anne. Enjoy every minute! love Jenn
I set here watching this miracle unfold with a smile on my face and a tear in my eye. Congratulations to both of you and to Maryanne as well. She is a beautiful child and you must all feel blessed. Best of good luck. Sandra oickle
It is an amazing but exhausting trip. When you get home and over the jet lag is when it begins to sink in and gets really wonderfully real. Are you head over heels in love? We just kept looking at each other and going "wow"!!!???!! A great beginning.
I had a little chuckle when I read about Iain feeding Mary Anne with chop sticks. The first time I found myself doing that, I did a second take,(since she of course was better at using them than I was).
It is great to follow your story and see pictures. I agree, that black and white photo is so precious. Since I was not that great a photographer, I took advantage of the professional photographer in Beijing. He brought a hair stylist and several different outfits. The bound album is a treasure we will cherish forever as it is so different from anything you could find here.
It is nice that she travels so well and you can see the sights and take pictures for you to share as she grows. Enjoy, Eunice
She has turned into an international superstar as I sent the link to the Blog to my Mum and Sister in England and they are now addicted to looking at the latest pics. It reduced my Mum to tears!
Ok - enough now. Come home - we need to hold her!!
That Black and White photo is so incredibly gorgeous... love it... I am ready for the craziness of China... bring it on... lots of walking to do I am sure...
Oh Christine!!!!! I am soooo happy for you and Iain!!!! I have been reading and crying everyday with a smile. I love seeing you with Mary Anne!!!! And I had to laugh when you commented on "going with the flow vs. being organized"....you know we are ALOT alike in that way...and yes, organization definitely gets a back seat! Its an adjustment for 2 ladies :) Lots of love and hugs to you all! Carrie
We didn't give you the gift of life,
But in our hearts we know,
The love we feel is deep and real,
As if it had been so.
For us to have each other,
Is like a dream come true!
No, we didn't give you the gift of life,
Life gave us the gift of you.
11 comments:
Good Morning McAuley Family! Wow do I love to get up each morning and have the latest Mary Anne installment! I love the new pictures. My absolute favorite is the new black and white one. It is breathtaking, stunning - I would sure like to have a copy of that once you are home. I love the dog tired one too. Yes, so much of the China trip is spent feeling that way.
Today, September 27 is the 4th anniversary of Amalia's Gotcha Day. We were in that exact same room 4 years ago where you received Mary Anne. It sure brought back some memories watching the video. 4 years doesn't seem so long, it feels like we've had her forever. You probably feel that way already with your wee girl.
Are you going to the pearl market? Just an idea... we bought each of the girls a strand of pearls to give on their 16th birthdays. A friend from Trip #1 did that and I loved the idea. This time we even got a pic of Lily as a baby with the pearls around her neck. One day I will show her that pic and give her the pearls, oh, in about 15 years! hahahaha!
Well we are off to the Camp this weekend for activities. It is it's 70th birthday so the weekend is filled with celebrations.
I hope you get some rest after your busy, busy day and enjoy the day ahead.
My cousin Cathy (from camp) came over yesterday and I showed her the blog. She wanted to send you her congratulations. She thinks Mary Anne is gorgeous and she is so happy for you!!
Lots of love,
Michelle
Okay...it has taken me awhile to figure out how to get an account to make a comment!
I have been following your blog, I am so excited for you and I know just how tired you must feel, but at the same time so excited.
Don't you just enjoy watching her, like you could sit and stare at her for hours upon hours. I love the photos you have taken, she is such a perfect match for you, she has the same totally contagious smile like you. And she seems to have a genuine happiness about her, like you! I would love to meet her in the flesh, I hope I can make it happen sooner than later.
I loved the videos too, especially the one where you hold her for the first time. I forwarded it to a lot of my mom friends and we all agreed that you need tissues to watch it! Babies are just the best thing in life, I swear. If I weren't so tired out from my three, I would keep having them!
Much love to you and Iain and Mary Anne. Enjoy every minute!
love Jenn
I set here watching this miracle unfold with a smile on my face and a tear in my eye. Congratulations to both of you and to Maryanne as well. She is a beautiful child and you must all feel blessed. Best of good luck. Sandra oickle
It is an amazing but exhausting trip. When you get home and over the jet lag is when it begins to sink in and gets really wonderfully real. Are you head over heels in love? We just kept looking at each other and going "wow"!!!???!! A great beginning.
Can I just say that after seeing the picture of you at the zoo - Christine, you are one HIP mom! I love it!
I had a little chuckle when I read about Iain feeding Mary Anne with chop sticks. The first time I found myself doing that, I did a second take,(since she of course was better at using them than I was).
It is great to follow your story and see pictures. I agree, that black and white photo is so precious. Since I was not that great a photographer, I took advantage of the professional photographer in Beijing. He brought a hair stylist and several different outfits. The bound album is a treasure we will cherish forever as it is so different from anything you could find here.
It is nice that she travels so well and you can see the sights and take pictures for you to share as she grows.
Enjoy,
Eunice
Mary-Anne sure looks a happy baby.
She has turned into an international superstar as I sent the link to the Blog to my Mum and Sister in England and they are now addicted to looking at the latest pics. It reduced my Mum to tears!
Ok - enough now. Come home - we need to hold her!!
Dena xx
That Black and White photo is so incredibly gorgeous... love it... I am ready for the craziness of China... bring it on... lots of walking to do I am sure...
Hi Mary Anne, Christine and Iain.
You all are having so much fun I cant wait to see you and join in.
sasha
Oh Christine!!!!! I am soooo happy for you and Iain!!!! I have been reading and crying everyday with a smile. I love seeing you with Mary Anne!!!! And I had to laugh when you commented on "going with the flow vs. being organized"....you know we are ALOT alike in that way...and yes, organization definitely gets a back seat! Its an adjustment for 2 ladies :) Lots of love and hugs to you all!
Carrie
it is amazing isn't it. She is beautiful. I have scrolled through the later posts and love the diaper changing one in Tianamen square. too funny!
Post a Comment