Sunday, September 02, 2007

Arrived!!

Flight to Xi'an





Thanks to the kind help from a fellow volunteer (IT help) I was am finally able to log on to our blog!!! Yipeeee!!

Wow…..I am here and I still can’t believe I am here. “I am in China!” I have to admit I am already home sick and at times question why I am doing this…but here I am. When my plane landed in Biejing my heart leaped and I thought Mary Anne is somewhere in this country. Unbelieveable.

I have already learned so much. My flight here was uneventful and I successfully did my transfer in Beijing to Xi’an. I even exchanged money, bought a phone card and called Iain! I have no recollection of my flight to Xi’an as I completely passed out.

I arrived at the Home Base late at night so was a little disoriented but I feel better today. All the other volunteers are very nice. I start my volunteer work tomorrow at the Starfish.
I am looking forward to starting as that is why I am here.

Today I got a little tour of the city and feel more familiar with my surroundings. There are people, vehicles, bicycles, motor bikes everywhere. I saw some split pants today!!! We toured the Muslim Market and plan to head back there this evening. We have had some good free time today which is nice to get settled.

I still can’t believe I am in China and I have 28 days left….

Here are some photos:

Pet Crickets!



the Bell Tower

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Christine
So glad to hear you are safely ensconced. I'm sure it is quite a culture shock but it is also a huge educational experience which I know you will love.
We had Iain for dinner tonight and he brought me some beautiful fresias which are apparently your favourite flower - they are mine as well. You've got him well trained! We've told him to use us as his home away from home whenever he wants to eat, talk or just have some company. He's a lovely guy and we both love him.
Work is a gong show and it's telling on both Iain and Bruce - hopefully it will be sorted soon coz this present situation is truly untenable.
By the way I LOVED the alternate book you gave me "A Thousand Splendid Suns". If you haven't already read it I'll give it to you on your return.
In the meantime, kiddo, soak it all up and keep your diary/blog going and we can live your experience vicariously with you.
Take care but enjoy
Love Wendy

Gerry &Dad said...

Hi Christine
Glad to hear that you arrived safely. We are really excited for you & know you will enjoy your stay in China, especially because you will be looking after all the babies, babies that will probably be adopted by a family. Living in a different culture for a whole month will be quite an experience & something that you will always remember. Betty & I think of the both of you a lot( Iain & yourself)& we love the both of you a lot.Enjoy your month in China. Love Dad & Betty

Elisa Djurickovic said...

Hi Christine;
WOW -- you are THERE!!!! Dig deep girl, and take everything you can from that wonderful place. I am so happy you arrived safely, and that tomorrow your "work" will begin. I look forward to your postings so that we may hear all about your experience. Miss you,
Elisa

Elizabeth said...

Oh my goodness I have not visited you in the past couple days and now catching up. How exciting you're in China! I'm so happy for you.