Thank heaven for the rain! Today due to the rain the older children were not on their way outside for a walk. Every morning was the same…the elevator opened for me at 8:45 a.m. onto the 5th floor and there they all were in the strollers very excited to get outside. Well today due to the rain they were all inside.
As soon as I walked in I was attacked! First Angel, then Sara…I had to sit down as they both wanted me immediately. I did not even get a chance to check in on Cailean. Then in jumped Benjamin, then Jade, then Sean, then Antoinette, then Rebecca. It was AWESOME! I did not expect this. Amanda immediately grabbed the camera and started clicking. Seriously this is the first time this happened. Did they know today was my last day?? Usually they each come up individually or sometimes two of them want me at once but never 7 of them. I was very touched by this moment and I felt chills all day. It was one of my happiest moments at Starfish and on my last day!!! I really felt like I touched all of the children in some way.
They all hold a very special place in my heart and I will never forget, Cailean, Erika, Angel, Benjamin, Jade, Antoinette, Sean, Olivia, Jasmine, Michael, Gabrielle, Nathanial, Heather, Rebecca, Rachel, Lily, Genie, Rose, Daniel, Sara and of course little Matthew. They have changed my life in more ways than I thought imaginable. I love all their little personalities. They are all so different and wonderful. I will pray everyday that they find their forever families and live a long happy loved filled life.
Later Amanda gave me the nicest comment…she said “You are going to be a fabulous mother and this morning said it all”. This really meant a lot to me. The big scene in the morning certainly made my day.
Oh before I forget another exciting thing happened today...I got puked on! I was eating lunch…of course not alone…I had Angel and Sara…one on each knee. (One of the nannies made me my favourite dish…pork dumplings). I gave Sara a small piece and then guess what she puked all over me. She now has the flu! This wasn’t just the piece of dumpling either!!! My pants were covered. I commented that I am surprised given there are 20 children that this was the first time! Needless to say my lunch ended. Poor Sara. Angel didn’t even bat an eye! Sara pretty much slept the rest of the day.
Sara - here she is....
Benjamin fell asleep on the couch...which apparently never happens! :)
Sean...his favourite place to sleep...the High Chair. They usually put a pillow under his head. You can't move him or he wakes up!!!
Angel and I having a deep conversation! :)
Rose....the little sweetheart! Look how wonderful she is doing. She is so beautiful.
Me and my buddy!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What a fabulous last day. Of course it was hard leaving. I even had the Nannies crying. Even though I don't even know how to pronounce their names (I commented that they needed English names to. A lot of people in China that study English give themselves English names) and there was the language barrier we somehow were able to communicate. They are all very sweet and it is obvious they love those children very much. The nannies are there everyday from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Another nanny comes in for the night. They all have a husband and children that live on the farm. They live alone in the city to work. They are amazing.
It was very hard leaving…but don’t worry Iain I did it…and unfortunately there are no children in my suitcase. :)
Thank you, Iain for giving me this amazing opportunity. Thanks for your support before I left and during this entire month. Thanks for your encouragement when I thought I could not make this trip on my own. Thank you to all my family and friends for your support and for following along on my journey to China and Starfish. Your comments kept me going. I am very blessed....
To all the children of Starfish I love you and already miss you very much. I know Amanda will keep me updated on all the children. And who knows maybe I will be back! :)
5 comments:
I have enjoyed your posts so much. I cannot imagine how hard it must be to leave. I have tears in my eyes.
Christine
Thank YOU for giving us this amazing insight into the work going on at Starfish as well as a glimpse of life in China. I have no doubt that this has been a life altering experience for you and yes, you probably will return some day. In the meantime, welcome back home!
Luv Wendy
Christine...I am sitting here knowing you are leaving with tears streaming down my face. Meeting you through starfish, seeing you with our new baby and watching everyday your adventures in China will always be in my heart. I am so glad to have met you. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for all you have done for our family. Blessings to you and Iain, and I hope to continue to watch your journey unfold when MaryAnne joins you. Take care and safe travels! Carrie
Christine... you have NO idea how much coming across your site and finding about the Starfish Foster Home has touched me. I too am waiting for a daughter from China... the wait is hard and when I saw that you went to China to help other babies, well, it pushed me to do something... the thought of doing the China trip myself was there but with so many other bills and saving my money for China stopped me from doing that and so the next best thing... you have inspired me to at least send some 'supplies' over there. My box is full of clothes etc and just got to get it ready to be Fed-exed over there. Thank you again for opening my eyes... I am sure it is going to be hard for you to leave but sure you have many wonderful memories... take care... Felicity
Christine
It has been so great to follow along on your trip. You made it a part of our lives as well. I am sitting here crying for you but also for those children and how much they will miss you! You sure do know how to leave your mark! We love you and wish you a safe trip home!
Renee
P.S. We can't wait to see you ourselves and the kids loved the picture!!
Post a Comment