Friday, September 14, 2007

Follow up trip to the Hospital

Poor Cai-Lean! Can you believe the anesthetic didn't work!!!!!

We arrived at the hospital at 9:00 after another crazy cab ride. We initially ended up waiting outside while the Nanny went and filled out the prescription. This took 1 hour! Apparently they ran out of the initial prescription they had prescribed yesterday. So then we headed to the room where the anesthetic is given. I could not believe this place! Then you proceed to this room where you get in line. When our time came up the Nanny handed the shot to the nurse. We then found out that you have to first pay the fee for the nurse to administer the shot! So we continued to wait in line while she went and paid. While standing in line I am watching these babies and children scream while being either hooked up to an IV or given a shot. After the child gets the IV one parent carries the IV while the other carries their child to the waiting area. This was all so emotionally draining. I did not want to hand over Cai-Lean.

I cried some tears when Cai-Lean got his shot. The poor little thing. After the shots we walked over to the building where the MRI is located. Words can't express what this place is like. We are SOOOO fortunate! We waited outside for a bit as inside was pretty scary. Unfortunately after 30-minutes both children were no where near being passed out. After 50-minutes Cai-Lean was smiling away showing no sign of being administered an anesthetic. They did try taking him in but he started crying as soon as they put him down. It didn't work!!!!!! We even gave Erika and Cai-Lean some Children's Tylenol to help...still nothing.

The very sad thing is I had to leave to catch my plane to Chengdu. It was so hard to leav Cai-Lean....bad timing on my part! But I believe they left and I guess we will have to return next week. We were there over 3 hours and nothing was accomplished. Our medical system ROCKS!!!!!!!!

Here are a couple photos of the waiting area for the MRI.

This is what I was looking at to my left. Also there was only a couple other people waiting. Which is strange considering the amount of people everywhere else! It was like the place was deserted. One of the other volunteers is located at the Hospital and she was able to watch a surgery. Apparently it is extremely clean and you have to go through 5 doors before getting to the OR. That was good to hear!
This hallway was to my right.

This is Cindy another volunteer holding Erika


We are now in Chengdu and tomorrow I get to see the Pandas! Apparently you can pay 300 YUAN to hold one and get your photo taken. I definitely have to hold a Panda...I have no idea if I will ever again get to hold a Panda. They are so darn cute! We are also going to go to see the Giant Buddha. Chengdu is a city of 10 million people. It appears much cleaner city than Xi'an and is more modern. We are in a hotel where I can flush toilet paper down the toilet!! :)

Chengdu

No comments: