There we were three adults and two babies in the backseat and Amanda in the front with the driver heading into the chaos of the roads. The ride was 30-minutes. Here is a photo of Cai-Lean and I in the cab. Isn’t it just crazy this is allowed?? I asked Amanda if anyone has car seats and she said she has never seen any!
We arrive at the hospital and go to the waiting area to see the Head of Neurosurgery. It is completely full. The hospital is not like anything I have ever seen. It was recommended we avoid touching anything! So I was afraid to sit…not that there was a place to sit. I am holding Cai-Lean in my arms the entire time. He was once again a trouper. He is an amazing baby. How I am going to leave him I don’t know. Actually how I am going to leave all the babies I don’t know. Fortunately, we did not have to wait very long. Three Caucasian women and two wee little babies again attracted A LOT of attention. We were taken into this room with three specialist and about three other families. Forget all confidentially!
All I had to do was show the specialist’s Cai-Lean’s sac on the back of his neck and we were given a note for an MRI. Cai-Lean has never seen this guy before. It also did not look like they had seen much spina bifida. So then we go down to a window and pay for the visit with the specialist and for the MRI. The cost for the MRI was $700 YUAN which is approximately $100.00 CAN. Then after asking directions a few times off to another building we go to get the MRI. Well we were told when we got there that they could not have their MRIs and we would have to come back tomorrow. They don’t usually give appointments but after much insistence by the Nanny we got one for tomorrow (Friday) morning at 9:30 a.m. It will be interesting to see if there is an appointment tomorrow!
We then went to the front of the hospital to get a cab. First though we had to wait for the Nanny who went and obtained the prescription at another little window for the anaesthetic that needs to be given to them tomorrow before the MRI. I don’t know how they figure out what to give because they never saw Cai-Lean but she got the prescription? While she was doing that we drew MASSIVE crowds at the front of the Hospital. I am talking MASSIVE! At one point I think there were over 50 people standing around us, coming in at us, pointing at the babies, asking questions I did not understand. Amanda could speak Chinese so did answer some of their questions. We were like stars it was crazy! I have heard that happens when you adopt but I did not imagine people could be so curious. Amanda took out her camera which caused a Police Officer to come over and tell her to put the camera away and the crowd parted quickly. What an interesting morning!! I can’t wait to go back tomorrow. I will be sad to see little Cai-Lean getting the shot. I have a feeling he will cry getting that needle. Boo hoo. My heart will ache for him.
Oh and I forgot to mention while we were walking from one building to another we passed this guy lying on a stretcher totally beat up with cuts and stitches and was passed out. Some guy, I have no idea who, probably a relative was having difficulties pushing him around. I couldn’t believe it…a hospital bed outside!
Here are some photos of the day at Starfish. I was doubling up at times today. As mentioned in the previous post we also got to Starbucks. Boy, was I exhausted after today. Look how cute this outfit is!
Cai-Lean's visit at Starbucks! I have him giggling!!!!!!!
Tomorrow I head to Starfish and the hospital in the morning. I am flying with a couple other volunteers to Chengdu for the weekend to see the Pandas! I can't wait. The flight is only 1-hour so totally worth the travel while here in Xi'an. I am bringing my lap top so hopefully all works as planned and I can post in Chengdu.
I also wanted to say thanks to everyone for having Iain to dinner and taking care of him!! It seems like every night he is invited to dinner. Thank you! We will have everyone to dinner when I get back! Thanks again for all the comments and e-mails. I love them!
4 comments:
Hi Christine
And I thought our "hurry up and wait" health care here was bad! As yet we havent' had to resort to stretchers outside the hospital but it's only a matter of time. What a great experience you are having. I love that you are able to take the babies outside their usual domicile. It makes for a much more realistic experience for you (by Chinese standards)and great reading for those of us living vicariously through you.
Luv Wendy
Hoping everything will go well tomorrow at the hospital.
You have some very full days.
Enjoy a great weekend and say hello to the Pandas for me (oh my how much to I want to be in your shoes).
Take care!
Hello from Hannah & Elise. We are glad that you are enjoying the children and getting to know China. We are very much looking forward to hearing all your stories on your return.
Christine
What a baby laugh. I can feel it in my belly.
Ren
Post a Comment