Saturday, September 22, 2007

A visit to a local family’s home

Later this afternoon we had a visit with Jarrod and his grandparents. Jarrod is a 20-year old student attending the Military Medical University Hospital. Although Jarrod’s parents and grandparents also live in the Military University complex Jarrod lives in the dormitories. There are very strict rules he needs to follow which does not allow him to reside outside of the dormitories through the week. We were invited to Jarrod’s grandparents home (his mother’s parents). His grandparents raised him. It was really wonderful to be able to see the inside of a family apartment and interact with them. Jarrod speaks very good English. His grandmother prepared for us the best meal. We were served Chinese tea, Moon Cakes and fruit to start. Then for dinner we were served porridge, pork dumplings, lotus root (which I have come to love!!), celery and processed bean curd (YUMMY!), cucumber dish, chicken, shrimp and a noodle tofu dish. I loved it all! Jarrod and his grandfather shared family stories and photos. I thoroughly enjoyed my evening. What lovely people to open their home to us. We have SO much! Here is a photo of Jarrod and his Grandfather.




Here is a photo of our delicious meal


(The Moon Festival is on Tuesday. There are so many different kinds of Moon Cakes! You can even buy Moon Cakes at Starbucks. It is neat to see Starbucks celebrate the Chinese Festivals).

PS. I am really loving using chopsticks. I have yet to use a fork since arriving in China. I am gett'in good! I find with chopsticks you eat a lot slower and far less. I might have to continue using chopsticks at home. :)

2 comments:

RoLo said...

Do you mind if I share your blog with other waiting families, I thought I would put a link on our website www.irvine-roberts.com

Anonymous said...

Wow you have come a long way with your eating habits. Boy how you must be loving living in the culture.I love hearing about these everyday adventures. That little story about Micheal makes me so sad. I wish I could find him a family, he was so cute dancing!. It always takes me back to my own little stars in this house and how fortunate we are!
Ren