Sunday, September 16, 2007

Chengdu, Sichuan Province

Scene from our hotel room


Chengdu is a city of 10 million people. I travelled to Chengdu with 3 other volunteers. Boy, was it nice to say in a nice place and a nice bed! My hips have been hurting a bit from my hard bunk bed at the Home Base. It was so nice to get between nice white clean sheets and have a BATH! Despite the language barrier and help from the hotel connoisseur we were able to organize a driver for Saturday and Sunday. On Saturday he took us to see the Chengdu Panda Breeding and Research Centre, lunch and to the Leshan Giant Buddha. On Sunday we went to a market and then the airport. Our driver did not understand any English, as well, it appeared he was not able to read any Chinese which made for an interesting two days.

The Giant Pandas were amazing. They are even cuter in person. The research centre and panda breeding covers 92 acres. As soon as I walked in and saw the first Panda it was worth the trip. A new born panda only weighs approximately 1 lb. and has no fur. Unfortunately we were not allowed to take any photos of the babies.
Here is a slide show of some shots I took of the toddlers, teenagers and adult Pandas. It was sad seeing the pandas in the cage but apparently they are only brought inside when the weather is very hot. It was definitely hot!






After visiting the Pandas we had a 2 hour drive to the Giant Buddha. However, before arriving at the Buddha our driver stopped at this "side of the road" restaurant. I had the best tomato and egg dish and potato dish. One of the girls ordered a carp. Check it out!!

Those who know me are aware I am not the most adventurous when it comes to eating....you are right I did not try the carp. :) Apparently it was excellent but I could not get past it staring at me.

After lunch we carried on to the Giant Buddha. Wow!! now this is amazing. You can hike 2 hours in to see the Buddha or take a boat ride. Due to time and the fact that from boat you are able to see the Buddha from head to toe we decided to take the boat ride. Here are some photos of the amazing Giant Buddha! Amazing isn't it?



A couple funny things (now that we look back at it) that happened while in Chengdu:


1. I found a piece of glass in my club sandwich at the UBC Coffee in Chengdu airport. Fortunately it was in my first bite so stopped eating and did not have to pay for it. Try explaining that to someone who did not speak English.

2. This girl, Nicole, dropped a plate on the floor at the hotel buffet breakfast. It cost her 50 Yuan!
3. Donna almost got hit by a bike. It is surprising that this is the first time!

Tomorrow I get to once again hold my little guy and play with all the other amazing children at Starfish!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's nice that you are having the opportunity to see some of the wondrous sites while you are there although I am sure your heart is really back at Starfish. The touristy stuff is interesting and adds a different dimension to your experience, and one you will be able to share with Mary-Anne some day.
Luv Wendy

Juliette said...

The video of Anthony was wonderful, he is such a happy little man!
Glad you could have a good bath and bed and could see great things before heading back to your cuties.
Thanks again for sharing your experience with us.